Thursday, January 23, 2014

Black Hole


Are you married?
He asks as we sit backstage
Waiting for our entrance
Together
As chauffeur and maid
Laughing and teasing
Finding joy in tonight's moment
I don a new identity
If only for a couple weeks
I am happy
He calls me Maggie
And asks for some more tea
As he places his hand on my thigh
I giggle imagining you
The man I'll never have
Separated by lives that began
Long before I came around
I'm sad and despondent
With my nose in a book
Transported to another Maggie
I read about long ago
A timid one huddling in the corner
Impoverished and abused
Like me,
Beautiful
Hopeful
Naive
And falling from grace
With my veneer of happiness
I trudge on
Trying to forget how he seduced me
Abandoned
Forgotten
Rejected
Left to succumb to a fate
Darker than any noir I've ever seen
I am that woman he sleeps with
Rather than the one he marries
Tragedy coming
As I wait for human agents
To memorize their lines
And blacken my existence
Waiting for the inevitable
Doom--
The darkness
Of my life--
I tremble.

No comments:

Post a Comment