Sunday, January 12, 2014

Four Corners

I invited her in to my classroom
Her Hopi Kachina doll collection
Sure to amaze
The poverty - stricken faces before me
They couldn't read
Or write
Their countenances charred with desolation
Vicki took the dolls out of her bag - one by one
A pantheon of spirits
Katsinas
Ensuring rain and harmony in the universe
Messengers between two worlds
Some carved from cottonwood root
Others with appendages painted on
Inverted "Vs" to represent officials
Animals such as bear, bird,  and mouse
Archetypal colors of yellow, blue-green, red and white
Molded together zenith above
When she reached into her bag for the final one, my breath stopped
Tsuku sat on the desk in front of me
With its bold horizontal black and white stripes
Laughing in my face and whispering thoughts of nadir the underworld
Prayer gifts to the girls
To be strong, happy, and healthy--
Encouraging growth from cradle to womanhood
What's the use?
The air is rugged and arid
I can't breathe
I've always been scared of clowns

No comments:

Post a Comment