Monday, January 13, 2014

They Say

They say to hell with my dreams
The Black Box Theatre
Is not made for you
And years later
When I've summoned the courage
To act, Art's voice
Resonates within me
Though I try to squelch his voice.
They say
We'll pay for your rent
We love you
Push back the tiger's grasp
Searing into my flesh
His breath naked--
Against my skin
A felony tomorrow
Pico de gallo today
They say
You're racist
Because I politely ask you
To pick up your tray from the
Cafeteria now that you're done eating
A chalice of bad faith--
The brown - skinned boy must think
As he walks away
I say 
I am a motivated confident woman 
with a passionate voice and 
A zest for life.
With charged spirit perhaps my distorted perceptions will dissipate 
and the possibility of renewal will set in.  
I listened today.  
Tomorrow,  I hope to listen again.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment