Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Show and Tell

I shall tell you
The meaning of love
When I hear the disapproval in your voice
And you push me away
Showing me the tracks of the
Verde Canyon Railroad
You used to walk as a kid
When the engine
Linked the copper mines
And the hungry men
From Jerome to nearby Prescott.
Like the French fur traders in my town
The syncopated barges
Rendezvouing with native tribes
Framed by the rugged mountains
And the luminescent greens from the  Verde River,
bald eagles nest like those along the Mississippi River. 
Ancient Sinagua cliff dwellings inhabit your world now
like the Kickapoo Indian Caverns frequent mine. 
When we begin to forget
That which separates us
Turning our eyes to the unspoiled dessert or the water
that still flows through the bedrock limestone
Your magic touch
The genesis of your warm breath
On face. 
Perhaps we will love
Traversing through copper smelters or craggy rocks
I shall tell you
Let me show you.

No comments:

Post a Comment