Sunday, March 23, 2014

Piece of Cake

Age 16
From Mexico
Youngest of two children
Brave
Leaving all she knows
For the year
We picked her up
From the airport
Sweet smile
She is part of our family
Lots of conversations:
Peer pressure
Household chores
Cell phone etiquette
Academic expectations
We started watching Dr. Who together
Shopped for her Prom dress
Stayed up past our bedtime
Waiting for her to come home
We may need to rethink that curfew
I started following high school
Girls' softball
Supporting
Validating
Understanding
I admit I'm green
My oldest is twelve
So I don't have much experience
With this teen
Living under my roof
We promised to provide
A safe and loving environment
I wish you had been around
To help answer some questions
You said you were sorry
And couldn't provide more
I just thought
You raised a teenager of your own
And look at her
She turned out well
But we're on our own:  Tom,  Grace, Miles, and Isaac
We're figuring it out
Her name is Regina. 

No comments:

Post a Comment