Saturday, February 22, 2014

Independence

I grope around the floor
Looking for something
The key that I dropped
Perhaps or the pillow from the settee
Can't find
Frustrated
In a rage
Throwing things around the room
Fortunately the unbreakables
This time
Anthony hovers over me
Eccentric looking, white pants, brown leather belt
Tousled hair and glasses
He brandishes a small leather notebook
Upon which he writes
Takes notes
As I unable to see
Continue to grope in the darkness
I hear the rustling of a newspaper
Headlines detail a murder
In Greenwich Village
Anthony shuffles
Towards the Venetian blinds
Looking out across the street
There's a police car in the distance
Watching the house
I am scared
I wish I could have told him about my husband
That he was abusing me
But I didn't want to play the victim
And get any sympathy from you
He hurt me
And now that you've cut me out of your life
It's too late for that
I got to know you very well
In a short amount of time
And you have hurt me more than he
Waiting just outside
Waiting all day
I am frightened
And you don't fucking give a damn
I sprinkle the gasoline at the top of the stairs,
And around the bedroom
Things are dark now
And I wait to take the matches out of my cardigan pocket. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment