Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Death of Me

 
Tomorrow would have been my birthday
29 again
No really, I would have been 44
But there will be no celebrating
Instead of birthday cake and
Mom blowing out the candles
My kids will lose their mom
They've lost her already
Grace auditioned for a play tonight
I'm so proud of her
Growing up into a beautiful young woman
Classy, earthy, giving
Not afraid to laugh that big laugh she's
Had since the day she was born
Miles got a Google Chrome book this week
He's been glued to it ever since
The kid has had it rough
After you cut me off he came
Down with pink eye
And then pneumonia
But he's resilient
Heart surgery at seven months with more in the future;  he doesn't have a choice
Sure he could stop fighting
Like his mom
And then Isaac
My artist and baker
Who still sleeps with me each night
Not a little boy any more
He will be a man someday
I hope he loves language as much as you do, and hot chocolate,  and his wife's lemonade. 
I hope he reads the newspaper, books, photography,  and learns to like poetry
My husband he's a good man
Works hard
Shows his love by providing for the family
Acts of service
And you with those dark eyes
And that voice that reminds me of my father's voice,
Please know that you're a good man
And you're human , but you love your wife and your family
I'm sorry
I did not mean to hinder that
And hurt
Tomorrow have a piece of cake for me
Know that someday after I have left
We'll reconnect
And you'll sprinkle my ashes over Lake Powell, the Colorado River, or some other God forsaken land
You and your scorpion goggles
Don't worry I won't mail them in an
envelope labeled handle with care
Know that I wanted to reach out
But I was done being selfish
It's not my place
It never was
Again,  I can't reiterate enough how wrong I was
And how repentant I am
V we never know when our time is up
We must love and forgive
I love you (platonically of course).
I'm blowing out the candles. 
Pfffffft.
I'm sorry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment