Friday, February 28, 2014

Games Men Play

Can't sleep
My refrigerator hums loudly
There is silence
For a while
Until the bedroom door opens
And closes quietly
A few moments later he comes in
To where I am
By the computer
Let the damn dog out he slurs
His speech left of center
It's 2:21 and Millie is still up
Waiting for me to join her
On the bed
Where she'll curl up
Behind my knees
Safe and warm
While he
The stranger beside me
Snores
Later when I'm still awake
Staring at the ceiling fan
I'll hear him get up
Piss in the toilet
And come back to bed
If I'm lucky he'll leave me alone
For another night
For another few hours
I'll be safe
Strictly speaking
I'll never tell the truth
Both he and Anthony
Move around like chessmen
Keeping me in between them
One of them is always blocking me
From the stairs
Checkmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment